Museum of Russian Icons Project
- Kent Russell
CEO & Curator
Museum of Russian Icons
Gordon Lankton and T.H. Smith
Scope of Work
We restored the former Bigalow Mechanics Institute to look as it did when originally built in 1853 from the outside. On the inside however the existing structure was all but removed in order to allow a new steel structure with an open floor plan and a sweeping staircase through the middle.
A heavy gauge steel stud frame was fastened to the brick wall with epoxy anchors to hold the wall in place while the flat roof was torn off. A continuous "LVL" was then fastened to the top of the wall providing lateral strength to the walls and allowing heavy timber clear span cedar trusses to be installed.
M.B.C. also provided an elevator shaft, "spandrel" windows, an A.D.A. compliant front entrance, plumbing for the new A.D.A. bathrooms and historically correct sofit and fascia.
The structural restoration and removal and replacement of the roof happened between mid October and mid December during this timeframe we experienced 3 Nor' Easters that dumped sleet and 3' of snow on the jobsite.
Letter of Reference (pdf)
New England Construction Magazine