Murray Brothers Construction is incorporated on September 14, 1992 by Phillip and Thomas Murray in a small basement office in Princeton Ma.
Phil utilizes past relationships and word of mouth to generate work while Tom initiates systems that will allow growth.
Nypro “Tunnel of Love” Phil and Jay work from 5p.m. to 12p.m.
in order to minimize noise for employees. This job was accessible only by a 40 ft lift. Once in the 200’ x 5’6” x 5’6” tunnel, concrete was demolished and removed to allow a new structure to be installed.
Camp Winnekeag Dining Hall is awarded to M.B.C. by the Southern New England Conference of Seventh Day Adventists and Jeff Linthwaite. This project is a tribute to the solid relationship between M.B.C. and the Seventh Day Adventist Church. M.B.C. is very grateful for this. Letter of Reference (pdf)
Winchendon Housing Authority awards M.B.C. the Community building addition and compliance project.
Fitchburg State College, Thomson Hall Elevator.
M.B.C. Installs a 4 story elevator shaft and foundation into an existing building. Sections of the granite foundation are removed by using “feathers and wedges” a primitive way of cutting granite that was useful in this application do to its location inside an exiting building during class.
C&W Fabricators 3 story steel office addition and renovation is awarded to M.B.C. Chenot Associates is the architectural firm. M.B.C. has had an excellent relationship with Chenot and is extremely grateful for there continued business.
The unfortunate events of 9-11 and Enron put the economy in a downward spin. Commercial, State and Federal spending are minimized changing the face of construction. M.B.C. utilizes its flexibility to explore other markets such as maintenance, restoration, and multi-family construction. Several close competitors go out of business.
Nypro, Inc awards M.B.C. the Blackstone Tunnel Project This project consists of temporarily supporting the structural integrity of the old Bigalow carpet dieing factory in Clinton, Ma, and filling tunnels underneath. Over 200 concrete truckloads of flow-able fill are delivered in one day. Finally a new interior steel structure was installed after a new concrete slab covered the entire area.
Systems H2O solicits the expertise of M.B.C. on the New Balance Mechanical Facility A 100 year old elevated brick addition to the former Prince Spaghetti factory on the Merrimack River in Lawrence, was pulling away from the original building. M.B.C. restored the structural integrity to the addition, and then removed the roof, all but a 4’ high section of perimeter wall, and floor of half of the building to store heating units. The materials salvaged from this half of the building were utilized to restore the other half. M.B.C. has had the good fortune to work with and for Systems H20 on several projects. We appreciate the role they have played in our success.
Knights of Columbus Function Hall. After almost giving up on the project due to cost M.B.C. suggests creative ways to restore the existing building. The roof was temporally braced to allow the second floor, walls, and fieldstone foundation to be surgically removed. A lift, staircase, and new second floor were built, as well as 4 A.D.A. compliant bathrooms, function room, and members’ quarters.
Museum of Russian Icons. M.B.C. is the only contractor considered by T.H. Smith, designer David Durrant and owner Gordon Lankton to perform certain aspects of the renovations to the former Bigalow Mechanics Institute originally built in 1853. An elevator foundation and shaft is built by David Murray. The entire interior is gutted by M.B.C. and crew to expose the condition of the existing structure. Phil Murray assists the design team in designing the new structure and function of the new building. Jay Murray, Wilson Pessoa, Chris Mossissey, Adam Racine, perform the work. Column bases are cut into the existing concrete, a temporary structure is installed to support the first and second floor and the roof. The existing structure is carefully removed; a new steel and wood structure is installed. A heavy gauge steel stud frame is built and anchored to the brick walls in order to remove the roof, the flat rubber roof is removed and a continuous lvl is anchored to the top of the wall to allow heavy cedar timber trusses with a 9/12 pitch to be installed. Letter of Reference (pdf)
Clinton Spanish Church. In addition to providing new windows and A.D.A. lift M.B.C. has structurally re-supported the steeple on this church which is the first church built in Clinton Ma, originally erected in 1853.
Mount Golgotha Seventh Day Adventist Church selects M.B.C. to transform an old Mason’s lodge into a code compliant church while maintaining the historical aspects of the building.
M.B.C. is featured in New England Construction Magazine
for there role on the Museum of Russian Icons project.
Framingham Seventh Day Adventist Church. Due to the solid reputation and relationship established by Tom Murray with the Seventh Day Adventists, M.B.C. is consulted in the clean up, inspection, design and restoration of a church built in 1970. Murray Brothers once again teams up with Chenot Associates and Jeff Linthwaite to design / build the restoration project. Mike Gesner is promoted to site supervisor and oversees all on site efforts. An efficient HVAC system is designed to allow the basement ceiling to be raised increasing the amount of natural light by almost 100 square feet. The steeple is removed so that the “car decking” timbers and roof could be repaired. The entire interior layout is modified to allow A.D.A. bathrooms and lift to be installed and to provide a commercial grade kitchen. Solar cooled windows and storefronts are installed in all windows excluding the gable ends which receive “Kal-Wall” a translucent panel with an insulation value of r20. Letter of Reference (pdf)
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions selects Murray Brothers Construction based on the reference of Systems H20 to do a 1000 square foot office and laboratory fit-up. Although the scope of work is relatively simple the schedule and logistics was complex and consisting of 4 phases in order to minimize the impact and maximize production for the occupied space.
Jensen Beach Seventh Day Adventist Church, Jensen Beach, Florida. When Pastor Shaw found that his new church building was behind schedule and over budget he solicited the expertise and consulting of Phil Murray and Murray Brothers Construction. Letter of Reference (pdf)
Daniel’s Farmstead Preservation is awarded to Murray Brothers Construction based on a recommendation from Chenot Associates. Listed in the National Historic Building Registrations this circa 1750 / 1850 farmhouse is a museum of the history of farming in New England. The shutters where removed, re-squared, doweled, and restored. The chimneys where supported in the attic so they could be disassembled and rebuilt by reusing the existing brick and simulated mortar from the roof line up. The dilapidated interior structure was restored and the exterior roof, windows and siding have all been restored. All work will be done in compliance with the directives from Chenot Associates, and the three historical societies Historic New England, the John H. Chaffee Blackstone National Corridor Historical Society and the Massachusetts Historical Commission. Letter of Reference (pdf)